An Otoscope or auriscope is a device used by medical practitioners to look into the outer and middle ear of the patient. This helps doctors to diagnose several ailments that may involve the ear. This equipment has two parts: the head which contains the light source and lens and the unit body. There are many models of otoscopes; although the main functions are the same, some models offer additional features like removal lens and insertion point for a bulb to push the earwax using air pressure. There are two types of otoscope, the portable which is battery operated and the wall mounted attached to an electrical power. In some cases, this equipment can also be used to check the inside of the nose.
Specification of Welch Allyn Otoscope
The Welch Allyn Otoscope is a lightweight and handy otoscope that captures different image formats including BMO, JPEG, TIFF and PNG with a resolution of 1280 x 1024 megapixels. It is compatible with Windows XP Service Pack 2.0 or higher versions. It uses a halogen lamp and a 3.5 volts power handle. It uses USB 2.0 interface with a digital output.
Features and Design
- The USB port allows a quick connection to a desktop computer, laptops or netbooks. It can be easily connected to any USB port to the back of the otoscope.
- The one click capture button can conveniently capture images for fast storing and viewing.
- It is equipped with a focus wheel that can easily improve the clarity of the image.
- The Insufflator bulb can allow pneumatic otoscopy.
- The 3.5 volts power source can be easily powered by any previous and current models of Welch Allyn Handles and wall transformers.
How to Operate the Welch Allyn Otoscope
- Turn the power switch on. If the power is on, the light will be emitted from the tip of the otoscope and the fan at the back of the unit will power up.
- Turn the light control knob to the maximum for brightest light output.
- Leave it for at least a minute to turn the lamp on.
- Reset the color.
- Secure the speculum at the tip of the otoscope.
- Clean the tip of the otoscope using an alcohol swab. Remove the excess alcohol on the tip by squeezing the insufflation bulb vigorously; this will force the excess alcohol out of the otoscope tip.
- Test the focus of the otoscope by turning the focusing ring.
- Place the otoscope parallel to the ear of the patient. There is no need to insert the entire apparatus inside the ear canal.
- Click the capture button to capture the image. You can opt to store it or view immediately.
- Be sure to place the otoscope securely back to the bracket to avoid dropping and damaging the device.
To ensure that images are captured in finest quality, use the image enhance button after the device has been tested for the right focus. Take note of the white dot placed on top of the otoscope head. The white dot should always be positioned on top of the head to be able to get the right orientation of the image.